Wednesday, June 24, 2009

june 12, 2009... yak butter tea... well... yuk...

started the morning with a visit to jokhang temple… my, such a refreshing experience.. different than 2006, but amazing just the same… interesting going with a different guide at a different time… and, with saga dawa still going, the pilgrimages are still under way, bringing people from all over the region… really, very… VERY cool…

had a HUGE lunch at a real tibetan restaurant… WAY too much food… momos… yak tongue (no, I did not partake of the tongue.. i know i’m a wuss)… but, I did finally try yak butter tea… it was better than I’d anticipated, but – seriously – it’s kind of like eating a melted stick of slightly sour butter… i suppose it’s an acquired taste… one that i’m pretty sure i can live without… but I’m glad I tried it anyway :)

no near-death experiences involving motorized vehicles but we’re off to namtso lake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namtso) for an overnight with my new friends tomorrow… five hours each way… so one never knows! (kidding)… looking forward to getting some great pics of the waning full moon over the lake…

ok… outta here until sunday afternoon tibet-time…

p.s. beds in tibet are the most uncomfortable on earth... period!




No comments: